Whatever the situation you, the prospective adoptive parent or child are in, when it comes to the rewriting of legal ties for a child, the law is understandably complex, and there are many safeguarding measures built in for the protection of the child (or children) involved. Our adoption solicitor specialises in Children Law and will be able to talk you through every stage of the process.
If you are considering Adoption, you must be;
- 21 years old or over,
- Have a fixed and permanent home in the UK, Channel Islands or the Isle of Man
- Have lived in the UK for at least a year before starting the application process
Although your marital status does not affect your application, there are rules if you are adopting privately or are adopting looked-after children.
Read our top 5 tips for prospective adopters HERE.
What is an Adoption order?
An Adoption Order gives you all the legal rights, duties and responsibilities a parent has in relation to their child, as though you were their parent from birth. It also removes parental responsibility from the birth parent.
How can our Adoption Solicitor help you through the process?
Amphlett Lissimore has an expert adoption solicitor who can advise you on the adoption process from all sides. Regardless of where you plan to adopt from, options are explained before any action is taken.
- Clearly outline timescales, costs and what you should be thinking about at every stage of the adoption process
- Explain things in plain simple English (no legal jargon here!)and make sure you are kept informed throughout
- Support and guide you through the process, helping you to complete all the necessary legal documentation correctly to ensure that there are no delays due to mistakes and errors in the application
- We will represent you at court and negotiate with the local authority/adoption agency
Our adoption solicitor, Sue Pryse-Davies is a specialist in Children and Family law and can represent children, parents, and prospective adopters in the proceedings. All of our children law and family law solicitors are members of Resolution and are committed to resolving family issues in a constructive way that considers the family as a whole.