Legal Aid is often free and you will not need to pay back the costs. We will always explain to you the terms of the legal aid before you agree to us acting for you through the scheme.
Our firm can grant you legal aid in an emergency and this can cover hearings on the same day if necessary. This includes cases concerning social services, such as care proceedings and emergency protection orders. Just ring one of our team on 020 8771 5254 and we can discuss what is available to you.
Unfortunately, not all cases are covered by legal aid even if you are on a low income or in receipt of benefits. Since the introduction of The Legal Aid, Sentencing and Punishment of Offenders Act 2012 (LASPO for short) legal aid is limited in private law proceedings, such as applications to court about the child arrangements for children, and additional restrictions on funding have been put in place. Again, please ring us if you wish to discuss your own situation so we can advise you as the position is judged on a case by case basis.
You can get legal aid for:
- care cases – cases involving social services relating to children at risk, being taken into care or in care (parents and grandparents can be represented)
- cases where your child has been or is about to be taken out of the UK without your consent
- some High Court proceedings about the welfare of your child
- applications for forced marriage protection orders
- family mediation, to resolve disputes about children and finance due to a relationship breakdown (we currently do not offer this service)
- an injunction (a court order) against a violent or abusive partner or family member
- other family problems, such as advice on finances, children or divorce, if you or your child have suffered or are at risk of violence or abuse
- if you’ve been served with proceedings under the “Hague Convention”
Click here to return to the main Children's Law page.