There were many worthy nominations made for the 22 awards split into four categories, but there could only be one winner for each. The categories were: Volunteer, Achievement, Community and Inspiration.
QualitySolicitors Bradbury Roberts & Raby sponsored the Award for Outstanding Achievement Adult, which was won by local couple Mr and Mrs Mumby, from Wootton in North Lincolnshire.
“The North Lincolnshire Community Champion Awards are a fantastic event, recognising the dedication and achievements of some fantastic local people and organisations. The evening highlights the excellent work done across the region and we are proud to be able to support the Awards, which celebrate North Lincolnshire’s unsung heroes and high achievers.
It was a pleasure to be seated with the two nominees for the Outstanding Achievement (Adult) Award, Gordon and Pauline Mumby, and Empathy Support (which offers a counselling and support service for relatives of people with problems of drug and alcohol abuse) and then to present the award to Mr & Mrs Mumby. Mr & Mrs Mumby were recognised for their prolific fundraising, having hosted charity garden parties for over thirty years, raising funds for a number of charities, most recently Macmillan Nurses. They also arrange their local sequence dance club, which they have done for 30 years.”
The awards recognise people for their dedication to volunteering, overcoming barriers and excelling in sport or the arts. As well as community groups that deserve recognition for their work in the community or individuals that inspire others.
The remaining categories and winners are: -
- Young Volunteer of the Year – Joshua Whitehorne
- Adult Male Volunteer of the Year – Howard Willis
- Adult Female Volunteer of the Year – Doreen Dunn
- Anti-bullying Champion – Rhiannon Sweeney
- Personal Courage – Lewis Barnes
- Sports Achiever of the Year – Anthony Hubbard
- Young Sports Achiever of the Year – Harry Spavin
- Young Arts Heritage Achiever of the Year – Rowena Hill
- Adult Arts Heritage Achiever of the Year – Richard Faulkner
- Outstanding Achievement Young – Ryan Yarrow
- Community Champion of the Year – David Martin
- Outstanding Contribution to a Safer Community – Vince Lobley
- Outstanding Contribution to a Learning Community – North Lindsey College Student Advocates
- Outstanding Contribution to a Stronger Community – 2222 Squadron Brigg ATC
- Community Project of the Year – Rescue Day
- Community Sports Team of the Year – Scunthorpe Touch Rugby
- Young Carer of the Year – Mollie Lehec
- Adult Carer of the Year – Karen Whitby
- Services to School Governance – Amanda Walker
- Fresh Start 50+ Award – John and Gayle Batchelor
- Lifetime Achievement Award – Pamela Ashton
Well-known radio presenter Blair Jacobs compered the evening and announced the awards. There was plenty of entertainment including North Lincolnshire Youth Swing Band, St Cecilia’s Singers and Lindsey Chamber Orchestra.
Councillor Liz Redfern, Leader of North Lincolnshire Council, said: -
“Once again the Community Champion Awards has brought the North Lincolnshire Community together in recognising those that go the extra mile. Now in its third year the Awards highlight the good work of local people in helping to make a real difference in their communities and achieving personal goals.
“We heard many inspiring stories throughout the evening. Everyone who was nominated is a winner and it gives me great pleasure to pay tribute to them all and commend their dedication and commitment.
“We had a fantastic response of 120 nominations. With 22 categories this year, choosing a winner from a very deserving group of committed and enthusiastic people was a very difficult task and I would like to thank the panel for their contribution.
“Congratulations to all the winners and everyone that was nominated. You should be extremely proud of yourselves. You are all true inspirations.”
North Lincolnshire Council, Scunthorpe Telegraph, Kapil Care Homes and Jotun Paints were the headline sponsors of the event with 18 other local businesses sponsoring individual awards.