Richard Green, Partner employment law expert at QualitySolicitors Parkinson Wright advises employers to get prepared with some sensible precautionary measures and highlights where to keep up to date on the latest guidance.
The best way for employers to keep abreast of the current advice is by visiting the following websites regularly:
Government guidance for employers and businesses
This website, with information from Public Health England and Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy, provides guidance on:
- the novel coronavirus, COVID-19;
- how to help prevent spread of all respiratory infections;
- what to do if someone at work is suspected or confirmed to have COVID-19;
- what advice to give to individuals who have travelled to specific areas; and
- actions to take if staff come into contact with someone who is self-isolating or is a possible or confirmed case of COVID-1
Acas – Good practice advice for employers
This website provides advice on practical issues, including:
- sick pay
- if employees do not want to go to work
- if someone becomes unwell at work
- if someone with coronavirus comes to work
- if the employer needs to close the workplace
This article is for general information only and does not constitute legal or professional advice.
Please note that the advice may have changed since this article was published on Wednesday 18th March 2020.