The local authority is responsible for making sure that children living in their area receives:

  1. An appropriate standard of care and are kept safe from harm
  2. Have suitable people looking after them
  3. Listening and understanding the child’s view on arrangements for their care
  4. Make sure they have someone independent to talk to

The Local Authority may ask the court to make a care order or supervision order. 

A care order means the Local Authority are asking that the child is cared for by the council and could be placed in a foster placement; residential unit or adoptive placement if a placement order is made.  

A supervision order is where the local authority will assist, advise and befriend the child/children for a specified period – usually in the first instance between 6 – 12 months although this can be extended.

At Truemans we have extensive experience of acting for parents and children in all types of cases.  All the fee earners who deal with this type of work are members of the Law Society’s Children Panel. This means they are qualified to represent children as well as parents and have been approved by the Law Society to do so.

We know these proceedings can be upsetting for anyone involved in them and that people can feel overwhelmed. We make sure that everything is explained to you at each stage of the proceedings.