Our fees cover all of the work required to complete the purchase of your new home, including dealing with registration at the Land Registry and dealing with the payment of Stamp Duty Land Tax (Stamp Duty) if the property is in England, or Land Transaction Tax (Land Tax) if the property you wish to buy is in Wales.
Although in general we provide our conveyancing services at a fixed fee there may be some circumstances where the work required to progress a transaction falls outside of the standard fixed fee transaction. Should this be the case we will always notify you of this in advance to undertaking the additional work and provide you with an estimated cost for the same.
The following are an example of the anticipated costs involved in a standard fixed fee cost for one client purchasing a freehold house at £250,000 in the TQ12 postcode area. Please note legal fees, search fees and stamp duty will differ from this example depending on factors such as the purchase price of a property, whether it is freehold or leasehold. We recommend you use our online quote tool or contact your local QualitySolicitors Dunn & Baker office for a tailored quote.
|Electronic Transfer Fee*||£30.00||£6.00||£36.00|
|Third Party Disbursements*||NET||VAT||GROSS|
|Land Charges Search*||£2.00||£0.00||£2.00|
|Land Registry Search*||£3.00||£0.00||£3.00|
|Land Registry Fee*(Electronic)||£135.00||£0.00||£135.00|
|Stamp Duty Land Tax/8||£2500.00||£0.00||£2500.00|
|Referral fee to third party if applicable*||£0.00||£0.00||£0.00|
- please see below for definitions of these terms
HOW LONG WILL MY HOUSE PURCHASE TAKE?
How long it will take from your offer being accepted until you can move in to your house will depend on a number of factors. The average process takes between 8-10 weeks.
It can be quicker or slower, depending on the parties in the chain. For example, if you are a first time buyer, purchasing a new build property with a mortgage in principle, it could take 4 weeks to get to exchange and then completion will be whenever the property is structurally complete. . However, if you are buying a leasehold property that requires an extension of the lease, this can take significantly longer, between 3-9 months. In such, a situation additional charges would apply. Should this be the case we will always notify you of this in advance to undertaking the additional work and provide you with an estimated cost for the same.
STAGES OF THE PROCESS
The precise stages involved in the purchase of a residential property will vary according to the circumstances. However, these bullet points below give a general overview of the key stages within the conveyancing process:
- Take your instructions and give you initial advice
- Check finances are in place to fund purchase and contact lender’s solicitors if needed
- Receive and advise on contract documents
- Carry out searches
- Obtain further planning documentation if required
- Make any necessary enquiries of seller’s solicitor
- Give you advice on all documents and information received
- Go through conditions of mortgage offer with you
- Send final contract to you for signature
- Agree completion date (date from which you own the property)
- Exchange contracts and notify you that this has happened
- Arrange for all monies needed to be received from lender and you
- Complete purchase
- Deal with payment of Stamp Duty/Land Tax
- Deal with application for registration at Land Registry
For further information on buying or selling your home please visit gov.uk https://www.gov.uk/buy-sell-your-home