Debt Collection for your Business – information on pricing
- Gould and Swayne can provide a number of debt collection services for your business. These include disputed and undisputed debt collection from:
Step 1: Client Care
- An initial meeting is always recommended to take the full details of your claim.
- The Client Care Letter is an initial letter we will send to you to outline details of the debt collection matter, timescales, our detailed estimate of our legal costs and our terms and conditions of business.
Step 2: The Letter Before Action
- The Letter Before Action is an initial letter sent to the debtor. The letter will, summarise the claim and warning that court proceedings will be commenced if payment is not made.
- The Letter Before Action must allow the debtor 28 days to reply from the date of the letter.
Step 3: Court Claims
- If the debtor fails to settle your claim, you may wish to start court proceedings. A court fee will need to be paid and this is dependent upon the value of the debt.
Step 4: Legal Costs
- The costs set out below could apply if your claim is in relation to an unpaid invoice which is not disputed.
|Claim Value||Court Fee||Our Fee ex VAT||Total ex VAT|
|Up to £5000||£35 to £205||£750||£750 + court fee|
|£5001 to £10,000||£455||£1750||£1750 + court fee|
|£10,001 to £50,000||5% of the value of the claim||£1750 to £3000||£1750 to £3000 + court fee|
|£50,001 to £100,000||5% of the value of the claim||£3000 to £5000||£3000 to £5000 + court fee|
- If your claim is not straightforward or if the debtor disputes your claim at any point, we will discuss with you any further work required and provide you with revised advice about costs if necessary, which could be on the basis of a fixed fee or our hourly rate/s.
Step 5: Other Matters to Note
If you wish to proceed with making a claim you should note:
- If you are a business the VAT element of our fee cannot be reclaimed from your debtor.
- Any Interest or compensation you wish to claim may take the debt into a higher banding, with a higher court fee.
- If you are successful at court, but your opponent fails to pay, enforcement action will need to be taken. We can advise on the process and costs if this becomes applicable.
- If your claim is valued at under £10,000 it could be allocated to the Small Claims Track. This means that you will not be entitled to recover your legal costs (that you pay to us) from your opponent. You will be able to recover the court fee.
Solicitor and Director
In the field of dispute resolution, Gian has expertise in representing individuals and businesses in a range of matters including:
- Debt collection
- Contractual disputes
- Building disputes
- Corporate disputes
- Commercial disputes
- Boundary disputes
- Property disputes
- Professional negligence claims
- Contesting wills and probate
- Complaints to the ombudsman
Jessica has a strong background in property related matters. With a keen interest in dispute resolution, Jessica joins our dispute resolution team to assist in all fields but with a particular emphasis on property and boundary disputes.