The history of QualitySolicitors Large & Gibson:
QualitySolicitors Large & Gibson have been meeting the legal needs of the people in Portsmouth, Hampshire and beyond for over 115 years, since its creation in 1899.
1899 - Arthur Edward Large set up practice in Portsmouth from London.
A small office suite was taken over Drinkwaters in Palmerstone Road, Southsea. The firm showed success from its first year, with Mr Large reported to have taken £100.
Early 20th Century - The practice became established, moving to Capital and Counties Bank Chambers, Palmerstone Road, until its relocation to Lloyds Bank Chambers in 1928.
1932 - Frank Archibold Stanley Gibson (‘Archie’) joined Mr Large.
Mr Gibson was born in 1898, qualifying as a solicitor at the end of WWI. Post WWI, the need for Solicitors was so high that ex-servicemen could qualify after 1 year post articles.
1934 - Mr Gibson was taken into partnership, and the firm became Large & Gibson. Mr Large later moved into semi retirement until his death in 1938.
WWII - During the war, Mr Gibson, a great patriot volunteered for service in the Royal Navy, working for the Commander in Chief. Reputed that during the war years he left the office a cheque for £50 and told them to close it down when the money ran out. Fortunately it did not!
In 1941 a fire bomb raid occurred, and the offices were destroyed, forcing relocation to Bruce Road, Southsea until the end of the war.
1946 - Dudley James Ward joined the firm, becoming a Partner and serving with Mr Gibson for 23 years.
1969 - Mr Gibson retired from the firm, dying 6 years later.
1974 - Richard Wootton joined firm as Partner.
Firm was rejuvenated and saw a period of rapid expansion. Mr Wootton’s specialisation is currently in the conveyancing. The firm moved to its present location, Kent House, 49 Kent Road, Southsea, a listed building designed by 19th Century, architect Thomas Owen.
1984 - Mr Ward retired to consultancy until 2 years prior to his death in 2007. Mr Ward was one of the longest practicing solicitors anywhere in the country. We are proud to have benefitted from his many years of expertise in Wills, Trusts and Estate Administration.
1987 - Peter Dymock joined the practice.
1990 - Peter Dymock made Partner.
He has expanded the firm's expertise in the field of litigation. We currently undertake all types of cases and appear regularly in the local courts.
2011 - Large & Gibson join the leading national legal brand QualitySolicitors, becoming known as QualitySolicitors Large & Gibson.
Legal practice may have changed beyond recognition since 1899, but we are still “a local name you can trust.”