Why we think the Care Act is a great law – A snapshot
- As laws go, it’s fairly easy to understand
- It brings all the rules under one source
- What’s not to like about a law that puts a person’s well-being and dignity as the priority?
- It has detailed Regulations that provide more information about how to apply the law AND even more detailed “statutory guidance” https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/care-act-statutory-guidance/care-and-support-statutory-guidance about how to apply the law AND the Regulations!
When is it used?
This Care Act applies to any adult that may have needs for care and support – for example those of us that need care at home, or in a care home.
It also applies to carers.
Who uses it?
Social workers and adult social service teams (often now called adult social care).
It is the framework for assessing and supporting adults with care needs, and their carers.
It includes information about:
- when and how to assess someone
- when and how they should be financially assessed
- when and how to address safeguarding concerns
- the right to an advocate
If you require any further information or advice regarding issues relating to care, please contact our Health and Community Care Team on 01926 491181 or email: email@example.com for free initial advice.
By Louise Courtney, Solicitor