Google Adwords 0808 278 1398 Bing Ads 0808 274 4482

Paying for Care: Financial Assessments, Deferred Payments and Top-Ups

If you think you need assistance, care and support, you are entitled to a social care assessment, regardless of the amount of money that you have.

However, when the assessment has been completed, what happens next?  Your financial contribution towards any care package will depend on the amount of savings and assets that you own.

First things first, it is important to highlight that it is the financial circumstances of the person who needs the care that are relevant, NOT the finances of their husband, wife or partner.  Any jointly held assets (such as joint bank accounts) will be split 50/50.

When you have over £23,250 in savings, you will have to pay the full cost of your care. We provide advice and support to enable you to make informed decisions about arranging and paying for care, including claiming the appropriate benefits, requesting NHS continuing healthcare assessments (when appropriate) and planning to safeguard your future care for when your capital dips below this threshold.

If your savings are below £23,250 you may be entitled to some financial support from the Local Authority to pay towards your care. However you will still be expected to make a contribution from your income or capital. When your savings drop below £14,250 you will only be expected to contribute from your income.

The amount you pay will depend on the level of savings as assets that you have. If these are above the £23,250 threshold you will be expected to pay for the full cost of the care home. If you own a home and have previously lived alone, the value of that home will be taken into account. If your home is shared by your husband or wife, or certain circumstances apply, then it will not be counted in the financial assessment and will be ‘disregarded’.

If you own your home and move permanently into a care home, you may be able to take out a Deferred Payment Agreement with the Local Authority. This is basically a loan from the Local Authority, set against your property, which means that you do not need to sell your home immediately to pay for your care although interest will be applied to the loan. The Care Act 2014 has introduced some changes to Deferred Payment Agreements. We always recommend that you seek legal advice when applying for this legally binding agreement and we provide comprehensive advice based on a full consideration of your circumstances.


How we can help:

Our Health and Community Care Team can provide full support and representation regarding financial assessments, appeals and also retrospective claims.  If you have a query regarding paying for care, call our friendly team today for a free initial consultation.

Team members

Ceri Mawson
Debbie Anderson
Solicitor - Director - Head of The Health and Community Care Team
Judy Timson
Clinical Advisor
Louise Courtney
Sharon Edwards
Legal Assistant

News and media

  • News
    • Posted on December 3, 2019
      After months of preparation and organisation, our Annual Care Conference is completed for another year.
    • Posted on July 29, 2019
      We are pleased to confirm that our Annual Care Conference is back for 2019!
    • Posted on March 28, 2019
      With the dreaded “B” word still looming large across politics, it’s likely that social care issues will continue to be kicked into the long grass for some time. The Green Paper that has been promised since March 2017, aimed at tackling concerns about the affordability and sustainability of social care, is due at any moment (we are told…).

      But whilst the delays continue, it is those needing care, their carers’ and families that are bearing the costs, financially and emotionally, of the current fragile system. The Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman has reported a year on year rise in complaints about social care and according to their latest annual review, this is now the second largest area of complaints that they deal with.

Expert legal advice you can rely on:

Expert legal advice you can rely on,
get in touch today:

Please let us know you are not a robot

Your local legal experts

Why QualitySolicitors?

QualitySolicitors is the largest network of law firms in the UK, with local law firms spanning the whole of England and Wales and customer service at the heart of everything we do.

We are dedicated to providing the highest quality legal advice and expertise for our clients, but in a way that’s far friendlier, more accessible and clear-talking than you might expect from a law firm.