With us, you’ll always find our lawyers are friendly and approachable. That’s why we promise you that as our client, you will always be given the direct phone and email details of your lawyer – making it easy to get in touch.Find out more
I am a Solicitor Advocate specialising in Criminal Law and have been practising since 1993. I head up the firms Miscarriage of Justice and Crime Team, as well as offering assistance in complex civil litigation.
I have been fortunate to have been involved in putting right a large number of miscarriage of justice cases, many of which have been nationally reported. I strongly believe in standing up for those who have suffered an injustice.
I am recognised as a specialist in defending false allegations with a particular interest in complex institutional care home enquiries and false memory cases .
We work with many national support organisations such as FASO , FACT and BFMS .
- R v Sheikh [ 2004 ] - Historical Allegations Conviction quashed
- R v Grierson [2005 ] - CCRC Referral Historic Cases - Law on Delay Clarfied
- R v Lay [ 2005 ] - CCRC Referral Consecutive sentences to an extended sentence [ Acted as Counsel ]
- R v Robson [ 2006 ] - Substantial Historic Case [ Acted as Junior Counsel ]
- R v Sheikh [ 2006 ] - Key decision on Historic Cases
- R v Wake [ 2008 ] - CCRC Referral on issue of alternative indictments
- R v Joynson [ 2008 ] - Historic Care Home Case conviction quashed
- R v Lawless [ 2009 ] - Murder conviciton quashed on basis of fresh expert evidence
- R v H [ 2010 ] - Law on doli incopax confirmed for historic cases
- R v B [ 2010 ] - Historic Allegations quashed
- R v France [ 2010 ] - Sexual Offences quashed due to fresh evidence
- R V S [ 2010 ] - IPP quashed
- R v L [ 2012 ] - Historic Convictions quashed due to misdirections on complaint evidence
- R v S , B , C & R [ 2012 ] - Sexual Offences quashed on fresh gynaecological evidence undermining original evidence of abuse
- Ali , Dennis , George , Lawless & Tunbridge v Secretary of State for Justice [ 2012 ] - The only succesful challenge to the Govt of Ian Lawless was navigated by Mark Newby as his Solicitor .
- R v Nealon [ 2013 ] - Conviction quashed on Fresh Evidence showing DNA on Clothing related to unknown male and not appellant .
- R v Lawless [ 2015 ] - Posession with Intent to Supply CCRC Referral
- Current CCRC Referral in an Historic Case to be heard at the Court of Appeal Northern Ireland .
- North Wales Inquiry Cases - Acquittals in all 5 Cases instructed in Operaiton Pallail .
- Pending Supreme Court Hearing May 2018 - Challenging Governments Miscarriage of Justice Compensation Scheme
On going work in cases across the UK .
My work with My collegue Mark Barlow of Garden Court North Chambers Manchester is featured extensively in Chapter 26 of the new Edition of Rook and Ward on Sexual Offences.
I contributed to " Hope for the Innocent" a critique of the Criminal Cases Review Commission, other articles in periodicals and the 2009 Major Conference on Historic Cases. I write regularly for The Justice Gap.
I also undertake Prison Law and Jordans are one of the small number of firms now recognised as specialist providers of Prison Law . As the supervising partner of litigation I am keen to ensure that we offer a service that provides clear unbiased advice to our clients allowing them to make a judgement as to the merits of their case. I fully understand the worry that any form of litigation causes and believe that the realistic, open and honest advice that I offer through my department and team allows my clients to make balanced judgements.
I have been supporter of the Round Table for 20 Years, rising to national secretary of this movement which promotes Communinty social and business interaction. I held this post for 5 years in total during which the face of Round Table changed.
I currently act as Secretary to the Round Table Trust a Charitable body which funds young people on community service projects around the world .
- I am a Past President of Doncaster & District Law Society
- I am a Council Member at the National Law Society representing Yorkshire .
- I sit on the Law Societys Criminal Law Committee and the Scrutiny Performance and Review Committee .
When I am not practising the law, I also publicly speak to the media and professionally on criminal justice issues, miscarriage, police conduct and investigations. I teach and lecture on Criminal Justice issues , Police Station and Court practice , LAA Funding Issues and Criminal Appeal Practice . I write extensively on these issues and regularly write for example for the Justice Gap .
Have a question or need some help? Call us today on 01302 365374
Your local legal experts
QualitySolicitors is the largest network of law firms in the UK, with local law firms spanning the whole of England and Wales and customer service at the heart of everything we do.
We are dedicated to providing the highest quality legal advice and expertise for our customers, but in a way that’s far friendlier, more accessible and clear-talking than you might expect from a law firm.
Have you ever wanted to just ask a lawyer if they can help you, without worrying about what it may cost to contact them? If so, call QualitySolicitors and together we can work out what your next steps might be... in confidence, at no cost and with no obligation. At QualitySolicitors, our Free Initial Assessment promise puts you directly in touch with a local law firm who will happily talk to you for free to clarify how they can help you.Find out more
Using a solicitor doesn’t have to involve any unexpected costs. We promise to confirm the full costs you can expect before we begin any work and keep you informed throughout. And we won’t start any work until we know you’re happy with our estimate.Find out more
Need a lawyer who’ll get in touch when they say they will and not leave you in the dark? Good news – we promise to you, our clients - call or email us by 3pm, Monday to Friday and you’ll hear back from us the very same day. And if we can’t give you a full response straight away because your question needs further investigation, we’ll always let you know and give you details of exactly when we’ll next be in touch.Find out more
QualitySolicitors law firms know that when you need to meet with a solicitor, finding time during office hours can prove impractical. So we thought we’d help by offering flexible opening hours; simple!Find out more