Probate costs and services
In all cases to comply with the anti-money laundering regulations there will be a charge of £25.00 + vat per client for identity verification. We also required to verify all legatees and beneficiaries and the charge is £25.00 + vat per person excluding charities and minor beneficiaries.
Applying for a Grant of Representation only:
For a non-taxable estate, which includes the completion of H M Revenue & Customs form IHT205, our fees are £850.00 + VAT, plus Probate Court fees.
For a non-taxable estate which includes form IHT205 and also form IHT217 (Transferable Nil Rate Band), our fees are £975.00 + VAT, plus Probate Court fees.
For a taxable estate, which would include completion of form IHT400, our fees are £1300.00 - £1650.00 + VAT, plus Probate Court fees.
Full administration of estate:
For a straightforward small estate where there is a Will, a couple of bank accounts and distribution to a couple of beneficiaries, our fees will be £1850.00 - £2,750.00 + VAT, plus Probate Court fees.
For an estate where there is a more complex Will and more beneficiaries, our fees are £2,750.00 - £5,500.00 + VAT, plus Probate Court fees.
For a larger estate where there is a property to sell, several assets to deal with, more beneficiaries, legacies to settle, tax issues, Inheritance Tax to deal, our fees are £5,500.00 - £9,750.00 + VAT, plus Probate Court fees.
We will handle the full process for you. This will include where:
- There is a valid Will, but if there is no valid Will, explaining the rules of Intestacy and identifying all beneficiaries under those rules. In some Intestacies, reference may need to be made to Genealogists and missing beneficiary insurance may need to be sought.
- Dealing with any assets such as property matters, bank accounts, stocks and shares.
- Liaising with beneficiaries
- There are no disputes between beneficiaries on division of assets. If disputes arise, this is likely to lead to an increase in costs
- There are no claims made against the estate. If claims arise, this is also likely to lead to an increase in costs
Disbursements included in any of the above:
- Probate application fee £273.00 plus £1.50 +vat per Office Copy (usually 1 per asset)
- Bankruptcy search fee with Land Charges Department £2.00 +vat per beneficiary
- Post in The London Gazette (protects against unexpected claims from unknown creditors) £175.00
- Post in local newspaper – this also helps to protect against unexpected claims – price varies based on location
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as Court fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
Potential additional costs:
- If there is no Will or the estate consists of any share holdings (stocks and bonds) there is likely to be additional costs that could range significantly depending on the estate and how it is to be dealt with. We can give you a more accurate quote once we have more information.
- If any additional copies of the Grant are required they will cost £10.00 per copy (which would include a copy of the Will also).
- Dealing with the sale or transfer of any property in the estate is not included
- Land Registry Fees will apply if a property is transferred to a beneficiary.
How long will this take?
On average, estates that fall within this range are dealt with within 6 – 12 months. Obtaining the Grant of Representation is dealt with first and this usually takes 6 - 9 months.