I am a solicitor specialising in Court of Protection work and part of the Health and Community Care Team based at Westgate House, having qualified in 2020. The Court of Protection practice is often defined into two categories; health and welfare and property and finances. I am honoured to say that my work stems across both these sectors. Along with this, I also provide advice and assistance on arranging and paying for social care.
I have a particular interest in protecting and voicing the rights of the vulnerable. I enjoy using my knowledge to assist and support adults with the issues affecting their lives – from where someone should live, their community care needs and managing their finances to arranging pet therapy or a shopping trip. I feel privileged to be invited into the lives of clients, to build a relationship with them and be placed in a position of trust to act on their behalf and assist in supporting their best interests.
I am privileged to assist the team in a wide range of cases, including:
- Deputyship applications to the Court of Protection on behalf of lay (e.g. family members) and professional Deputies.
- Providing ongoing support to Attorneys (appointed under Enduring or Lasting Powers of Attorney) and Deputies on how to ensure that they comply with the legal duties they have towards the individual they act on behalf of.
- Meeting and supporting clients who we represent under our Professional Deputy Service to ensure that their wishes and views are always sought and embedded in our service and that any decisions our Professional Deputies make on their behalf is in their best interests.
- Gifting applications to the Court of Protection.
- Trustee applications to the Court of Protection.
- Office of the Public Guardian investigations.
- Support with understanding financial assessments, direct payments and the funding options available for paying for social care.
- Representing clients in the Court of Protection in disputes about where they should live, contact with others and their care and support needs.