Making a will
1 in 4 wills in a recent study by the Legal Services Board failed their official assessment, meaning they were either completely invalid or didn’t properly reflect what the person wanted to happen. Getting the right person to prepare your will is vital.
All QualitySolicitors’ wills are individually prepared by local expert lawyers, giving you complete peace of mind that they are legally valid and that your wishes will be followed. Whether you want to ensure your family is provided for or have complex financial planning requirements, there’s a service suitable for your circumstances.
What type of will do I need?
We offer three different types of will, each of which is then tailored to your particular circumstances by our expert lawyers. Use our wills assistant for help in deciding which one is right for you.
We have more specific information on:
- Decide who gets what – leave gifts to friends, relatives or charities.
- Appoint a Guardian to take responsibility for any children.
- Set out any funeral wishes
- Appoint the person you wish to carry out your will.
- Free lifetime storage
(many firms charge an annual fee for this service).
- Free signing service Mon-Sat (we provide independent witnesses to ensure your will is valid).
- Everything in a standard will plus address more complex issues.
- Give a gift (e.g. your house) to a person for their lifetime only.
- Stop a child receiving a gift until they turn a specific age, e.g. 21.
- Exclude people who would normally expect to be included (e.g. wife/husband or children).
- Provide for on-going care of a person with a disability.
- If you have assets (including property) over the Inheritance Tax threshold (currently £325,000) you may benefit from more detailed advice on how to minimise the tax paid through your will. If you own a business this may also be a more suitable option for you.
- Our lawyers are experts in structuring your will to maximise the assets left to your friends and family, potentially saving you many thousands of pounds.