Generation don't do it yourself (D.D.I.Y) set themselves up for a fall
81% of Brits have hired someone in their home in the past 12 months to help with household chores
But 42% don’t safeguard their home to ensure their safety
Over half (52%) aren’t aware of their responsibilities when hiring people in their home
New research from the UK’s leading network of solicitors, QualitySolicitors reveals Brits are a nation of “Don’t” D.I.Yers, with the vast majority (81%) now relying on others to do work around the home like gardening, cleaning, decorating or plumbing.
Yet over two fifths (42%) admit they don’t take any steps to protect the people they hire such as clearing stairways, checking smoke alarms and ensuring wiring is safe, which could leave them legally liable in the event of an accident.
The study also highlights that people are not fully aware of their responsibilities when hiring people in their home. Over half (52%) admit they didn’t realise they were responsible for their health and safety and therefore could be financially liable if the person they hired had an accident and 62% said they wouldn’t have a clue what to do if someone made a legal claim against them after having an accident on their property.
As a result, they could be left seriously out of pocket if they were put in this situation: two fifths don’t have the appropriate cover if the person they hire had an accident and made a claim against them and a further 29% are not confident their insurance would cover legal expense.
John Baden-Daintree, Director of Legal Services at QualitySolicitors comments: “This research has shined a light on the fact we have become a nation that relies on people to help out in our homes. Whilst there is nothing wrong with this, it’s also clear that some people could be doing more to safe guard their homes to help prevent the people they hire from having an accident. At QualitySolicitors, we are committed to offering practical advice to help people who are looking to make a claim after having an accident that wasn’t their fault. We also offer free initial assessment, so would urge anyone who is unsure of anything, to give us a call for more information.”
Young vs. old
The results reveal that older people (55yrs plus) rely on domestic help the most – 85% have hired someone in their home in the last year compared with 65% of young people (18-24yrs). It also showed that workers in the home have more accidents in younger people’s homes: 13% of 25-34 year olds said their worker had an accident in their home, compared to just 1% of people aged 55 plus.
Top ten people hired in the home
- Professional property service e.g plumber, builder, electrician
- Window cleaner
- Mobile hairdresser/ beautician
- Odd job man
- Carer/ home help
- Dog walker
- Pet sitter
- Baby sitter
To help educate people around their options and the process if they have suffered an accident that wasn’t their fault, QualitySolicitors has produced some downloadable tips, available here.
- Launched in 2010, QualitySolicitors is a group of law firms across the country working as part of the QualitySolicitors brand. Only one firm per local area is selected to become a QualitySolicitors partner. Customer feedback forms an integral part of the selection process.
- QualitySolicitors’ national network of lawyers consists of over 100 branches across England and Wales.
- QualitySolicitors lawyers are experts in their fields dealing with both consumer and SME legal matters. QualitySolicitors offers a personal, local service but with the assurance of a recognised national brand.
- QualitySolicitors’ website address is www.qualitysolicitors.com
- In 2011 QualitySolicitors secured equity investment from Palamon Capital Partners, a private equity house with a £700m fund.