Google Adwords 0808 278 1398 Bing Ads 0808 274 4482

What do I need to do if I want to alter my business premises or change what I use them for?

You should take advice on what consents you are likely to need and how best to get agreement to your plans.

Whether you lease your business premises or own them outright, any significant alteration (such as structural alterations) is likely to require building control approval. Additional consents may be required for properties in conservation areas and listed buildings.

If you want to change the use of premises from one ‘use class’ to another — for example, from a shop to an office — you may require planning permission.

If you are occupying leasehold property, additional restrictions are likely to be included in the lease. Typically, the lease might contain clauses prohibiting significant alterations or a change of use, or these may require the landlord’s consent.

Related FAQs

Expert legal advice you can rely on,
get in touch today

Please let us know you are not a robot

Your local legal experts

Why QualitySolicitors?

With QualitySolicitors your first initial assessment is free, so you can call us without worrying about being charged for a call you might not have actually needed to make. And because we place our clients are at the heart of everything we do, we make these five customer service promises to make sure you'll feel properly looked after.

This is why, in the first instance, most people looking for legal help in relation to a 'Home And Property' call QualitySolicitors for a Free Initial Assessment over the phone before requesting our Ask the Legal Expert service; which is an introductory 45-minute face-to-face consultation for £99.