Google Adwords 0808 278 1398 Bing Ads 0808 274 4482

How do I find out if I am entitled to bereavement benefit or other support following my husband’s death?

If you were married but your spouse has died, you may be entitled to claim bereavement benefits. Civil partners have the same rights.

A bereavement payment is a one-off, tax-free lump sum of £2,000. You must claim this within 12 months of your spouse’s death.

If you have dependent children and you are entitled to child benefit you may also be able to claim widowed parent’s allowance — a weekly payment that is part of your taxable income.

Alternatively, you may be able to claim bereavement allowance if you are over 45 but have not yet reached state pension age. You cannot claim both widowed parent’s allowance and bereavement allowance.

In all three cases your spouse must have paid enough national insurance contributions or died because of an industrial accident or disease. Other conditions apply too.

You can find out more from the Bereavement Service on 0345 606 0265. If you prefer, a solicitor can handle your claim for you.

Related FAQs

Expert legal advice you can rely on,
get in touch today

Please let us know you are not a robot

Your local legal experts

Why QualitySolicitors?

With QualitySolicitors your first initial assessment is free, so you can call us without worrying about being charged for a call you might not have actually needed to make. And because we place our clients are at the heart of everything we do, we make these five customer service promises to make sure you'll feel properly looked after.

This is why, in the first instance, most people looking for legal help in relation to a 'Home And Property' call QualitySolicitors for a Free Initial Assessment over the phone before requesting our Ask the Legal Expert service; which is an introductory 45-minute face-to-face consultation for £99.