Google Adwords 0808 278 1398 Bing Ads 0808 274 4482

My boss had made it clear that if I don’t resign I’ll be dismissed and given a bad reference — is that allowed?

Your employer should follow a fair disciplinary process rather than trying to force you out. Of course, the employer may not want to do this: perhaps because the disciplinary process would take too long, or they want to avoid paying you during your notice period, or there isn’t any good reason for dismissing you.

In principle, you are entitled to resign and then claim unfair dismissal.

In practice, if your employer wants you out the best solution may be to use your lawyer to negotiate a settlement agreement. The employer agrees to pay you a negotiated amount and you give up the right to take them to an employment tribunal or bring a court case. How much you might get will depend on factors such as how long you have worked for them and what your contract says.

Related FAQs

Expert legal advice you can rely on,
get in touch today

Please let us know you are not a robot

Your local legal experts

Why QualitySolicitors?

With QualitySolicitors your first initial assessment is free, so you can call us without worrying about being charged for a call you might not have actually needed to make. And because we place our clients are at the heart of everything we do, we make these five customer service promises to make sure you'll feel properly looked after.

This is why, in the first instance, most people looking for legal help in relation to a 'Home And Property' call QualitySolicitors for a Free Initial Assessment over the phone before requesting our Ask the Legal Expert service; which is an introductory 45-minute face-to-face consultation for £99.