Google Adwords 0808 278 1398 Bing Ads 0808 274 4482

Can I claim compensation if my child has been injured in an accident?

Children are naturally prone to the odd bump and bruise here and there. Injuries are often a result of carelessness while ‘playing’, and many minor incidents can be put down to all being part of ‘growing up’.

However, if a child under the age of eighteen has been injured as a result of someone else then as a parent you need to know what your options are, quickly.

First of all, although a child is not allowed to make a personal injury claim for themselves, as their parent you can decide if you would like to make a claim on their behalf.

Alternatively you can leave the decision for them to make when they reach eighteen years old. Your child will then have three years in which to make a claim, assuming a claim has not already been made.

It’s normal for a personal injury claim to have a time limit of three years, after which a person is not normally permitted to pursue a claim.  However for children who have suffered a personal injury or accident, the law applies this three-year limit from the date of their eighteenth birthday.

If you decide to pursue a compensation claim on behalf of your child, and a compensation payment is awarded, then that sum is likely to be held in a special investment account that can be accessed when the injured child turns 18.  However the court may release funds before that time if it can be shown that the injured child needs money for matters directly relating to the injury; such as specialist equipment or education.

Related FAQs

Expert legal advice you can rely on,
get in touch today

Please let us know you are not a robot

Your local legal experts

Why QualitySolicitors?

With QualitySolicitors your first initial assessment is free, so you can call us without worrying about being charged for a call you might not have actually needed to make. And because we place our clients are at the heart of everything we do, we make these five customer service promises to make sure you'll feel properly looked after.

This is why, in the first instance, most people looking for legal help in relation to a 'Home And Property' call QualitySolicitors for a Free Initial Assessment over the phone before requesting our Ask the Legal Expert service; which is an introductory 45-minute face-to-face consultation for £99.