Google Adwords 0808 278 1398 Bing Ads 0808 274 4482

I have been injured during a violent crime, can I claim criminal injuries compensation?

If you have been injured in a violent crime, or while trying to prevent a crime or catch an offender, you may be able to claim compensation from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA).

This type of compensation is known as Criminal Injuries Compensation, and it is designed to be an available source of funds for people who haven’t been able to secure a compensation settlement through other means.

Assuming you’ve already tried and failed to seek a compensation settlement, you only have two years from the date of the crime in which to bring the claim, and the incident must have been reported to the Police within a reasonable amount of time after the incident.

To reiterate, the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority only provides criminal injuries compensation as a last resort. You will first need to see whether there are other ways in which you can be compensated: for example, by making a claim against whoever attacked you or by claiming under an insurance policy.

If you have any doubts then an initial enquiry to a solicitor will help you decide what your best option is.

If you are still suffering (emotionally or physically) as a result of a violent crime, then please consider contacting the Victim Support service, as they are a free service who have much experience in helping people deal with violent crime. 

Related FAQs

Expert legal advice you can rely on,
get in touch today

Please let us know you are not a robot

Your local legal experts

Why QualitySolicitors?

With QualitySolicitors your first initial assessment is free, so you can call us without worrying about being charged for a call you might not have actually needed to make. And because we place our clients are at the heart of everything we do, we make these five customer service promises to make sure you'll feel properly looked after.

This is why, in the first instance, most people looking for legal help in relation to a 'Home And Property' call QualitySolicitors for a Free Initial Assessment over the phone before requesting our Ask the Legal Expert service; which is an introductory 45-minute face-to-face consultation for £99.