Google Adwords 0808 278 1398 Bing Ads 0808 274 4482

I sacrificed my financial independence when I married my husband and now he has left almost everything to his children by his previous marriage — what should I do?

You can contest the contents of your husband’s will on the grounds that it does not make ‘reasonable financial provision’ for you, provided you have not remarried. You must claim through the courts within six months of probate being granted.

Your husband’s executors, his children by his former marriage and any other beneficiaries might oppose your claim. His children may also be entitled to claim for reasonable financial provision. In deciding your claim the court will look at what you might have been awarded if you had divorced your husband.

Related FAQs

Expert legal advice you can rely on,
get in touch today

Please let us know you are not a robot

Your local legal experts

Why QualitySolicitors?

With QualitySolicitors your first initial assessment is free, so you can call us without worrying about being charged for a call you might not have actually needed to make. And because we place our clients are at the heart of everything we do, we make these five customer service promises to make sure you'll feel properly looked after.

This is why, in the first instance, most people looking for legal help in relation to a 'Home And Property' call QualitySolicitors for a Free Initial Assessment over the phone before requesting our Ask the Legal Expert service; which is an introductory 45-minute face-to-face consultation for £99.