Google Adwords 0808 278 1398 Bing Ads 0808 274 4482
General Enquiries 08082747557 9am - 5:30pm Mon to Fri
  1. You are here
  2. Does making a will in the UK cover...

Does making a will in the UK cover what happens to my holiday home in the Alps?

If you own property overseas, you usually need to make a separate will in that country, taking into account local succession laws and inheritance tax. For example, in many European countries a proportion of your assets is automatically inherited by your nearest blood relatives (not including your spouse or civil partner). In some countries inheritance tax (or its equivalent) can be punitive unless you take steps to minimise your liability.

Your foreign will and the will you make here must dovetail with each other. You may also need tax advice across all the territories where you own property, so make sure your solicitor here is aware of your foreign assets.

Related FAQs

Send us a message