Google Adwords 0808 278 1398 Bing Ads 0808 274 4482

If I already have an enduring power of attorney, is there any need to convert it into a lasting power of attorney?

Enduring powers of attorney (EPAs) were replaced by lasting powers of attorney (LPAs) from October 2007. EPAs made before that are still valid and you do not have to convert them to an LPA unless you want to.

One issue with EPAs is that they give your attorney power to deal with your property and finances for you, but not your health or welfare — for example, where you live or your medical treatment and care. You can make both a property and financial affairs LPA and a health and welfare LPA.

So your mother could decide to keep her existing enduring power of attorney (because it already gives her attorney the powers they need to deal with property and finances) but make a health and welfare LPA too. Or she could cancel her existing EPA and make two new lasting powers of attorney — one covering health and welfare, and one covering property and finance.

Whatever she decides to do, a solicitor can help with the whole process.

Related FAQs

Expert legal advice you can rely on,
get in touch today

Please let us know you are not a robot

Your local legal experts

Why QualitySolicitors?

With QualitySolicitors your first initial assessment is free, so you can call us without worrying about being charged for a call you might not have actually needed to make. And because we place our clients are at the heart of everything we do, we make these five customer service promises to make sure you'll feel properly looked after.

This is why, in the first instance, most people looking for legal help in relation to a 'Home And Property' call QualitySolicitors for a Free Initial Assessment over the phone before requesting our Ask the Legal Expert service; which is an introductory 45-minute face-to-face consultation for £99.