Google Adwords 0808 278 1398 Bing Ads 0808 274 4482

I want my daughter to inherit everything when I die but I want to stop her husband getting it if anything happens to her — can making a will help?

It can. You can set up a trust in your will and make your daughter the beneficiary. There are a number of ways such a trust could operate — you would need to take legal advice — but her husband would have no legal right to the capital or the income, either while she is alive or if she dies before him. The trust might be taken into account in any divorce settlement.

Trusts are flexible so you may want to set one or more up for other purposes too, such as to provide a fund to pay for your grandchildren’s education when they are older, or for a disabled member of the family.

The tax treatment varies for different types of trust. You need to think about the inheritance tax, income tax and capital gains tax consequences. This is a complex area where you need specialist advice on your particular circumstances.

Related FAQs

Expert legal advice you can rely on,
get in touch today

Please let us know you are not a robot

Your local legal experts

Why QualitySolicitors?

With QualitySolicitors your first initial assessment is free, so you can call us without worrying about being charged for a call you might not have actually needed to make. And because we place our clients are at the heart of everything we do, we make these five customer service promises to make sure you'll feel properly looked after.

This is why, in the first instance, most people looking for legal help in relation to a 'Home And Property' call QualitySolicitors for a Free Initial Assessment over the phone before requesting our Ask the Legal Expert service; which is an introductory 45-minute face-to-face consultation for £99.