Probate Fixed Fees & Costs
Applying for the grant, collecting and distributing the assets
We would estimate the total cost for administering an estate, on a time basis, to be generally between £3,000 and £15,000.
We would usually charge a value element in addition to the above as follows:
- Where there is a lay executor; 0.5% of the value of the property and 1% of other assets
- Where the Partners of the firm are appointed as executors; 0.75% of the property and 1.5% of other assets
The exact cost will depend on the individual circumstances of the matter and be dependent on such factors as the amount of assets in the estate and the number of beneficiaries.
For example, if there is one beneficiary and no property, costs will be at the lower end of the range. If there are multiple beneficiaries, a property and multiple assets, costs will be at the higher end.
The prices set out above are for estates where:
- There is a valid Will
- There is no more than one property
- There are no more than four bank accounts
- There are one to five beneficiaries
- There are no disputes between beneficiaries on division of assets. If disputes arise this is likely
- to lead to an increase in costs
- There are no protracted negotiations with HMRC
- There are no claims made against the estate
If there are any variances in relation to the matters listed above then we can provide a quote based on the exact circumstances once we have all the relevant information to hand.
There will be disbursements usually as follows:
- Probate application fee £155 plus 50p per additional sealed copy
- Swearing the oath £5–£7
- Bankruptcy search fee £2 per beneficiary
- Statutory advertisements to protect the executor against unknown creditors £250–300
We will handle the payment of these to ensure a smoother process.
Applying for a grant only
We can also act on your behalf to obtain a Grant of Probate only.
We would estimate that this will take between four and ten hours and out costs should be between £1,000 and £2,500 plus VAT.
How long will this take?
For a non-taxable estate we would expect to be able to apply for the Grant in 6–8 weeks. In a taxable estate this may take 8–16 weeks.
Following receipt of the Grant we would estimate it can take from 4–12 weeks to collect in the assets in the estate.
There may be further time required to deal with HMRC and the DWP.