Google Adwords 0808 278 1398 Bing Ads 0808 274 4482

Can I work in the UK as a lawyer if I am skilled worker immigrant dependant in the UK?

We have had a number of enquiries from lawyers who are relocating or have relocated to the UK as dependants of a skilled worker visa holder. If you are a lawyer who has been trained from abroad, you will usually be required to do the SQE (Solicitors Qualifying Exam). Your entry-level and exemptions depend on your experience and original jurisdiction. The process and requirements are explained on the SRA website.

Some people might be lucky enough to get paid employment in the legal sector straight after arrival, but the majority struggle because of a lack of UK-based experience or training.

At Tann Law Solicitors, we offer voluntary work placements. Due to the amount of work required to set up a new worker and the effort needed to train someone, we have made it a requirement that a person seeking voluntary work placement must commit to a minimum of 6 months, doing at least 3 days a week. We will then write a relevant reference should it be required.

If interested in our voluntary work placement, please email us at

Posted in: careers

Expert legal advice you can rely on,
get in touch today:

Please let us know you are not a robot